Old Glory Ranch’s latest “Antique Truck” addition allows us to continue the bridal tradition of something old and something new. Our 1954 International Harvester R112 purchased originally by a farmer living outside St Louis was once a farm truck. I am quite sure it did not have an inkling of what the future might bring. It has now become a treasured vehicle at our Texas Hill Country venue, Old Glory Ranch, in Wimberley
Interesting facts about our Antique Truck:
- Bryce Engelhart purchased the truck in December 1985 for $3600.
- In the first four years, Bryce drove the truck 100,000 miles around the United States.
- It visited Steamboat Springs, Las Vegas, California, and all over Texas as well as the Midwest.
- The truck has attracted a lot of attention and has been well photographed and has even received a few movie offers.
- Bryce purchased tires for the truck in 1990 for $95 each and they lasted for 27 years. They had to finally be replaced in 2017 for $265 each.
- The truck was once maroon and at one time lay in pieces before becoming transformed into today’s version.
- Many adventures and memories made before Bryce finally made Wimberley his home in 1994.
The truck then became a popular departure vehicle for our newlyweds at Old Glory Ranch and as even helped a bride reach her ceremony at the Wedding Deck.
One of our most beautiful and popular departures involve the Antique Truck and gerbs.
Bryce recently retired to begin a new chapter in his life. He deemed Old Glory Ranch as a worthy place to leave his antique truck. We are so glad that he did so it can continue send our Old Glory Ranch couples off to their own unique adventures. We warmly welcome our new addition and look forward to all the new memories we will make together.
Miniature Donkeys are such a big part of Old Glory Ranch as we have over 30 of them grazing peacefully in our pastures. The mini burros have been part of the landscape at OGR and an integral part of our events since we opened in 1997!
Many times, people come to Old Glory because they have seen the donkeys online or heard about them from friends. These little charmers are not always the first thought of a newly engaged couple as they begin compiling the guest list. However, beer burros are a wonderful novelty to add to your special day! As you are planning who to invite to your wedding at Old Glory Ranch, don’t forget the most sought after guests… miniature donkeys.
Frequently, couples think the children at the wedding will adore the donkeys, but your adult guests will love these beer packing burros just as much.
There is little else that is as unique as miniature donkeys serving bottled beer, juice boxes or bottled water during cocktail hour. They create a bond with your guests to help them begin those initial conversations, as two families become one. The donkeys are also an icebreaker at corporate events or private parties, creating a more relaxed atmosphere.
They are very skilled and versatile as they can serve numerous other items such as chips and queso. The donkeys often have their pictures taken as much as the bride and groom. The mini burros are never released from “duty” until all the “people guests” have had an opportunity to take that priceless selfie with our “donkey guests.”
For more information about our donkeys, how to incorporate them into your Old Glory event or to purchase purchase your very own, visit our Miniature Donkeys page.
Should our nieces & nephews be in the wedding, or is this day just about us?
Some couples think it is a family affair while others feel the distraction of children in the ceremony takes away from the bride’s “Queen for a Day Moment”.
Making children an attraction at a wedding:
1) Choose appropriate ages for the task. Three to Eight Years Old is usually the ideal age for Flower Girls and Ring Bearers. If you must have a very young child, a wagon pulled by an older participant is a good idea. Taking these young children out after making their appearance, avoids unrealistic expectations.
2) Preparation for the event should include rehearsing. Tell them what a special privilege it is to honor the bride & groom.
3) Emphasize good behavior such as acting like the big boys & girls.
4) Fashionable clothing like Mommy & Daddy can sometimes encourage “best behavior”. Little girls love to be the “Princess for the Day,” while little boys love to dress like Daddy on a special occasion.
5) Attitudes & expressions of children can sometimes ad humor & a sense of relaxation to the ceremony. Old Glory Ranch had a 3 ½ year old twin boy who announced when he exited the chapel after sitting down in the middle of the ceremony, ” ’Dis’ wedding is too ‘Wong’.”
6) When children are expected to stay at the reception, childcare is an excellent idea. Old Glory Ranch provides childcare & entertainment for these children so parents & grandparents can enjoy the celebration. Young children can get very tired & cranky when the evening gets late. Taking young children home after the ceremony is also an option.
Well behaved and adorable children can certainly add great joy to the pomp & circumstance of a wedding. If the bride & groom are set on children in their ceremony, cute kids can lighten the tension & provide wonderful photo opts for the memory book. This is a definite attraction. Some couples still view these precious children as a distraction. When choosing the “attraction” route, always be prepared for the unexpected!
Still on the fence when deciding whether to invite children or not?
Check out these articles from Wedding Wire (The 12 Secrets to Well-Behaved Ring Bearers and Flower Girls) and CNN.com (13 rules for a kid-friendly wedding (or not).
Photos by Darcie Westerlund of Innovative Photography
This year, the weatherman may not be forecasting a white Christmas in the hill country, but we just can’t seem to get enough of the beautiful colors popping all over the ranch from the late fall foliage! We love changing seasons, especially this time of year so we are not complaining one bit! Take a look at these “Seasonal Touches” in a natural state.
Check out some of our favorite seasonal touches and accents that serve as beautiful backdrops at Old Glory Ranch page by following this Link
After you’ve selected your Groom, venue and that oh-so-perfect dress, one of the next steps is choosing your wedding cake! The options are endless and your wedding cake is not just dessert after dinner, it is tradition. But never fear, there is no rule that says you must have the same old traditional cake. Think outside the box and create a cake that expresses who you are as a couple; one that tells a story…your unique love story. It may be your favorite beer or sport; or where you are from. Your cake could represent your career path or where you went to college; You may go for something that shows your love for music, cheese, hunting, fishing and the great outdoors. Some are just looking for a different texture, shape or topper.
Start brainstorming by putting together a mood/inspiration board to have on hand when talking to your chosen baker. Here at Old Glory Ranch, we have seen almost everything you could imagine, but here are some of our favorites to help get your juices flowing.
We’re taking a walk down memory lane with Lisa on Location, a Hill Country Wedding Photographer, who posted an awesome article on her blog about Old Glory Ranch. We love that she started her Outstanding Texas Hill Country venues with Old Glory Ranch! We’ll call it our TBT “Throw Back Thursday” blog!
#texashillcountryvenues #weddingvenue #destinationwedding #photographer #rusticweddingvenue #oldgloryranch
3/11/11 – Lisa had this to say about Old Glory Ranch:
“When you get right down to it, Central Texas is fortunate to have some of the best wedding venues anywhere. It’s an embarrassment of riches, to be honest. As a Central Texas wedding photographer based in New Braunfels, Lisa’s been blessed to photograph weddings all over–from historic Fredericksburg in the Hill Country, to San Antonio’s famed River Walk to the sunny shores of Lake Travis–and loves every minute of it! It seems that brides are asking her about potential wedding venues more often these days, so we’re going to start spotlighting some of the outstanding Texas Hill Country wedding locations, starting with Old Glory Ranch in Wimberley.
The first thing that hits you when you emerge from the wooded drive onto the grounds is the gorgeous, honey-golden chapel. The exterior is smooth-cut cedar planking, and the result is a magical combination of rustic charm and elegant dignity. I’m serious folks, when the sun shines down, the chapel literally glows.
It is exceptionally roomy inside, too. The wood surfaces are all polished smooth, and rows of windows on either side of the chapel fill the space with a warm glow. Any wedding photographer will tell you this is some of the absolute best light to shoot in–it gives everyone healthy, attractive skin tones and adds a rich warmth to all the photos. There’s a lovely covered back patio area for receptions, but for a mroe formal dinner. the chapel hall can be converted to that in short order as well (a neat trick if the weather doesn’t cooperate!) Stained glass and detailed painting on the interior beams complete the pickture, with old-world, Germanic charm.
Owner Suzanne McCord (who just became a grandmother this week–Congratulations, Susan!) has more than 2,000 acres on the grounds which she’d developed impressively. The Gatehouse Pavilion is an outdoor venue suitable for smaller gatherings, and there are other private structures as well. What’s most impressive, however, is the two miles of riverfront access along the Blanco. Here McCord has built two fantastic outdoor wedding venues–the wooden Wedding Deck, bordered by a large grassy lawn suitable for up to 500 guests, and the smaller Stone Landing, which can accommodate smaller gatherings of 75 or less. Both outdoor venues are literally right on top of the Blanco River, surrounded by spectacular old-growth Montezuma Cypress. For lovers of outdoor weddings, it doesn’t get any better than this.
Suzanne works with Liz Danna, general manager, and Gina McClure, the marketing and artistic director. Any one of them will do you right, so if you’re looking for a genuine Texas Hill Country wedding venue, give the fine folks at Old Glory Ranch a call. Better yet, give Lisa a call first, so you’re guaranteed great wedding photography.”
See the blog here: Lisa on Location
Old Glory Ranch is happy to recommend Lisa as one of our preferred photographers.
The Texas Hill Country wedding of Sarah Fabian & Logan Prewett was held at Old Glory Ranch on October 5, 2013 and is featured in the July/August issue of Weddings in Houston Magazine. “We are very pleased with the publishing of Sarah & Logan’s wedding. It is an excellent representation of an Old Glory Ranch wedding,” said Suzanne McCord, OGR owner.
As seen in Weddings in Houston Magazine July/August 2014 Issue:
Middle-school classmates who attended separate high schools then reconnected in college, Sarah and Logan have a long Houston history and a lot of family and friends between them. Their choice of Wimberley’s Old Glory Ranch as the venue for their festive fall wedding gave them the opportunity to celebrate with 300 of their nearest and dearest in a setting of privacy and natural splendor. “The theme for our wedding was ‘shabby chic’ and rustic,” explains Sarah. “Everything was perfect – from the “beautiful flowers” to the “delicious food” to the “mismatched vintage china.” Best of all, she adds, was having those she loved most make their way to the Hill Country for an unforgettable destination wedding conveniently close to home.
You may view the article here Weddings in Houston magazine on pages 170 thru 172.
Vendors who helped to create the perfect atmosphere are as follows:
Venue, Floral, Decor & Wedding Coordinator: Old Glory Ranch
Photographer: Anthology Photography
Videographer: X Horn Productions
Bridal Carriage: Decotah’s Dream Team Carriage Co.
Buses: Transportation Consultants
Reception Band: Blind Date
Guest Gifts: Tiny Pies
Bridal & Groom Cakes: Simon Lee
Catering: Gourmet Gals
China Rental: JenMarie Vintage Rentals
Special Effects: Starlight Fireworks & FX
Wedding Dress: Matthew Christopher from Weddings by Debbie
The Texas Hill Country is a very popular destination choice for weddings hailing from the Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and the Permian Basin areas. Here are just a few reasons brides choose Old Glory Ranch as the ideal location:
1) Service – Our number one priority is YOU and making sure your event happens exactly as you envision! The main comment we hear from clients, are rave reviews of the service they receive before and during their event. Our goal is to have the couple, their families and guests show up and have a wonderful time while we take care of all the details including set-up, room transition, break-down and everything in between. We offer assistance in many areas during the planning stages of each event and meet with clients for one-on-one consultations and, unlike many other venues, we never limit phone calls or emails. We are here for you.
2) Experience – Our clients appreciate that Old Glory Ranch has been providing the ‘ultimate’ Texas Hill Country wedding experience for hundreds of couples – for decades! Nearly 400 newlyweds have crossed the Old Glory Ranch threshold since their opening in 1997. Many of the staff members have been on board since the very beginning. Clients and guests are treated with professionalism, courtesy, and welcomed with warm smiles and accommodating spirits.
3) Wedding Coordinator – We welcome Outside Wedding Coordinators, but for those who aren’t brought to us by one, we have one available. For all of our Chapel Hall weddings and receptions we include an experienced Day-of Wedding Coordinator in our facility fee. They are in charge of the execution of the timeline and taking care of all the needs of the couple the evening of their event. Some offer extended services for clients wanting more assistance in certain areas such as tuxedo rental, finding invitations, booking lodging, etc. When utilizing our Day-of Coordinator, she will do many ‘behind the scenes’ duties throughout the night. She will prepare plates for the bride and groom and guide them through the necessary timeline constraints yet keeping them fluid for change. Towards the end of the night they will load up a designated vehicle, and departure vehicle, with all the couples belongings. They will also pack up a ‘to-go’ package for the couple in case they were having too much fun meeting, greeting, and dancing, and didn’t get an opportunity to dine!
4) Preferred Vendor lists – Clients rave about our preferred vendor lists which help them tremendously in the planning stages of their event. Whether you are looking for officiates, accommodations, caterers, bakers, photographers, videographers, ceremony musicians, bands, photo booths, transportation needs, beverage providers, or something unique, Old Glory Ranch has a list of what we refer to as our Texas Hill Country “tried and true.” You can rest assured that each vendor has ‘made’ the list by providing quality service to previous clients. We will even assist in scheduling appointments for tastings, checking their availability, or researching to find someone or something new that might not be on our list, etc.
5) Ceremony & Reception Options – Old Glory Ranch offers a variety of options when planning your event. And since we only hold one event on any given day, you receive our utmost attention to assure that yours is executed beautifully and all details in place upon arrival. Your ceremony can be held inside our historic Chapel Hall, on the Wedding Deck on beautiful banks of the Blanco River, in our ancient Oak Grove, or the open air Gatehouse Pavilion. With 2,200 acres, finding the ideal Texas Hill Country spot for your ceremony is a breeze! You may take advantage of our full service venue, or if you are on a smaller budget with 100 or fewer guests, you may prefer a more ‘do-it-yourself’ approach. Either way, you have choices for consideration. Receptions may also be held inside Chapel Hall or around our covered Patio and under the giant Oaks. Many clients like an “in-out” experience offering their guests the best of both worlds. We can accommodate larger groups than many venues in the area, yet intimate events are just as easily handled. Naturally, air conditioning and heating options will be welcomed during some months, we have the ideal solution for that as well.
6) Inclement Weather Plan! – If you are planning an outdoor event, perhaps at one of our riverside ceremony sites, along with a patio reception and Mother Nature has a different idea, we have you covered, so to speak! We watch the weather very carefully and will give you a call if we feel another one of our indoor options might be more suitable for you and your guests comfort.
7) Location & Views – Lots of ‘Ooooos’ and ‘Ahhhhs’ take place as soon as guests enter the Old Glory Ranch gate. The lovely Texas Hill Country comes to life serving as a backdrop for the rustic appearance of Chapel Hall. With nearly 2 miles of the emerald green Blanco river cutting through the property, and unobstructed views of the hills, along with no ‘city lights’ to water down the scenery, Old Glory Ranch is truly a gem in the Wimberley valley. Conveniently located between the Austin, San Antonio, Houston, San Marcos, Dallas and Permian Basin areas.
8) Flowers – “Gorgeous”, “Stunning”, “Amazing”, “Beautiful”, all comments that we hear from our clients, and their guests. The OGR Floral Team is top notch and executes each brides vision into fruition for their events, whether personal flowers, centerpieces, or indoor-outdoor decor. With a huge inventory of varied styles of containers to coincide with any bride’s vision, it is easy for her to pick and choose the perfect look she is trying to achieve. Clients are provided a private online link to the OGR floral gallery to see what is available and have a one-on-one meeting with our designer.
9) Donkeys! – Need we say more?! These little guys and girls are very popular among our clients and adored by their guests. Tons of ‘selfies’ are taken at each event when our miniature donkeys are present. Their charming floral lined saddle packs make it easy for guests to grab a beverage along with a unique photo to share on social media sites!
10) Child Care – Not many venues offer the option of child care for wee ones attending a wedding. Here at Old Glory Ranch we have experienced adult childcare attendants, and an ideal location adjacent to the venue which includes restrooms, changing station, baby bed, pack-n-play, and where children can watch a variety of movies and age-appropriate activities, while their parents enjoy a ‘worry-free’ fun evening of celebration.
Old Glory Ranch – venue, flowers & decor
Design by Sage [Kellye Grady] – Wedding Coordinator
Sugar Shack Bakery – bridal cake
Jumpstart Band – reception music
Mike Reed Photo – photography
PoKeJo’s – catering
Robert Bexar – officiate
GOT A QUESTION?
Help with Vendors
Need help with some vendor recommendations? After two decades in this business, we have developed relationships with many different vendors which helps us match you to the ones you need.