Some couples think it is a family affair while others feel the distraction of children in the ceremony takes away from the bride’s “Queen for a Day Moment”.
Making children an attraction at a wedding:
1) Choose appropriate ages for the task. Three to Eight is usually the Flower Girls and Ring Bearers’ ideal age. If you must have a very young child, a wagon pulled by an older participant is a good idea. Taking these young children out after making their appearance, avoids unrealistic expectations.
2) Preparation for the event should include rehearsing. Tell them what a special privilege it is to honor the bride & groom.
3) Emphasize good behavior such as acting like the big boys & girls.
4) Fashionable clothing like Mommy & Daddy can sometimes encourage “best behavior”. Little girls love to be the “Princess for the Day,” while little boys love to dress like Daddy on a special occasion.
5) Attitudes & expressions of children can sometimes ad humor & a sense of relaxation to the ceremony. Old Glory Ranch had a 3 ½ year old twin boy who announced when he exited the chapel after sitting down in the middle of the ceremony, ” ’Dis’ wedding is too ‘Wong’.”
6) When children are expected to stay at the reception, childcare is an excellent idea. Old Glory Ranch provides childcare & entertainment for these children so parents & grandparents can enjoy the celebration. Young children can get very tired & cranky when the evening gets late. Taking young children home after the ceremony is also an option.
Well behaved and adorable children can certainly add great joy to the pomp & circumstance of a wedding. If the bride & groom are set on children in their ceremony, cute kids can lighten the tension & provide wonderful photo opts for the memory book. This is a definite attraction. Some couples still view these precious children as a distraction. When choosing the “attraction” route, always be prepared for the unexpected!
Still on the fence when deciding whether to invite children or not?
Check out these articles from Wedding Wire (The 12 Secrets to Well-Behaved Ring Bearers and Flower Girls) and CNN.com (13 rules for a kid-friendly wedding (or not).
Photos by Darcie Westerlund of Innovative Photography
GOT A QUESTION?
Have a question about our facility? Interested in a reserving a particular date, or have a special request? Contact us.
Help with Vendors
Need help with some vendor recommendations? After two decades in this business, we have developed relationships with many different vendors which helps us match you to the ones you need.